Reddit is the most well-known social networking website and forum in the world. It includes thousands of communities containing information on pretty much all fields of human knowledge.
Millions of people use Reddit for high-quality content so it can be disappointing if they face issues with Reddit not working or Reddit down. Several users have complained about an error showing “We had some trouble getting to Reddit” when trying to access some subreddits on the mobile or desktop.
In this guide, we’ve explained everything about this error and have provided troubleshooting solutions to help you fix the issue completely.
Why does the “We had some trouble getting to Reddit” message occur?
Here’re the primary reasons for which the error message has occurred:
- Server down: If the Reddit servers get down or are under maintenance, you’ll encounter the “We had some trouble getting to Reddit” error while trying to access the site. So, you can confirm whether the server is down for all users with the help of website down checkers.
- Outdated app: There’s a chance that you have been using an outdated Reddit app and that’s why you’re getting the message “We had some trouble getting to Reddit”. If the app is not updated, it can’t connect with the servers properly.
- VPN is activated: In case you’re using a VPN while accessing Reddit, you can turn it off temporarily. Due to illegitimate or to prevent malicious harm, the server might blacklist some VPN IPs.
- Corrupted cached data: A corrupted cache sometimes causes your Reddit mobile app to behave inappropriately and trigger the error. Hence, you can try clearing the cached data.
- Two-factor authentication is enabled: Some users reported that they had this problem where the two-factor authentication was enabled for their Reddit accounts. So, if you’re experiencing the “We had some trouble getting to Reddit” error message, you can try to disable two-factor authentication and check if that removes the error.
Now that you’ve understood all the common reasons behind the problem, you can start applying the troubleshooting solutions discussed next.
Fixes for We had some trouble getting to Reddit
Fix 1. Verify the Reddit Server Status
It’s possible that the Reddit server can go down for heavy traffic or maintenance is going on, causing this unexpected crash. You can verify the server status live on the official site or using downdetector.
Fix 2. Update Reddit
If your Reddit application is outdated, it can prevent you from accessing the website or certain subreddits. So, you need to ensure that you’re using the latest version of the app on the device.
To update Reddit on Android, follow these steps:
- Open Google Play Store on your Android device and search for Reddit using the search bar.
- Open the app from the result and tap the Update button.
- The Play Store will download and install the app to its latest version.
To update Reddit on iOS, follow below:
- Tap the App Store icon on your home screen and select Profile in the upper right corner.
- Scroll down to find the Reddit app and tap Update in front of the application icon.
- This will install the latest updates on the iOS device.
Fix 3. Clean App Cache
Reddit stores temporary data into its cache. Sometimes, the cache size gets larger than the device capacity or becomes corrupted and creates problems. Try cleaning the app cache if you’re having trouble getting to Reddit. This method can help remove glitches or bugs and fix errors.
So, here’re the steps to clean the app cache on Android:
- Open your device Settings and tap Apps to open the list.
- Go through the list of installed applications and find the Reddit app.
- Tap to open the app.
- Select Internal storage.
- Tap Clear cache to clean the cache.
To clear cache on iPhone,
- Open Settings and select General.
- Tap iPhone Storage, choose Reddit and select Offload App.
Fix 4. Close and re-open the App
If clearing the app cache didn’t fix the error, you need to check if the app or browser is the main source of the issue. So, close your app and re-open it to see if everything works properly. For the browser, exit it completely and again open the site.
Fix 5. Turn Off Two-Factor Authentication
To get rid of the error, turning off two-factor authentication for your Reddit account can be an effective solution. Here’s how you can turn off two-factor authentication on Reddit:
1. Go to your Reddit account, click the username icon at the upper-right and select User Settings from the drop-down.
2. Click the Privacy and Security tab.
3. Under Advanced Security, you can find the Two-Factor Authentication Control option. Toggle it Off.
4. Provide your password to confirm the settings and then proceed to see if it is solved we had some trouble getting to Reddit error for you.
Fix 6. Switch to Another Location
A couple of Reddit users claimed to fix the problem by switching their post recommendation location from global to a specific country. To do the same, follow these steps:
- Open your Reddit profile and under the Popular option, select Global.
- Then click Others and select a new random location.
- Refresh your Reddit feed and see if that helps you.
You can switch back to global when the problem gets solved.
Fix 7. Disable VPN
If you have enabled a VPN while using Reddit, it’s best to disable it. VPN changes your geo-location, which may not match the location settings on your Reddit account, causing this specific error.
Fix 8. Restart Device
A simple restart can sometimes fix any problem. So, give your phone a restart to get rid of the Reddit error.
Fix 9. Uninstall and Reinstall the Application
Uninstalling and reinstalling an application often removes glitches within it. So, to do that for your Reddit app,
1. Tap and hold the Reddit app icon on your mobile.
2. Choose the Uninstall option on Android and the X sign on the app icon on iOS to uninstall the app.
3. Now, go to the Google Play Store (Android) or App Store (iOS).
4. Search for Reddit using the search bar above and download the app.
5. Once the download and installation are complete, open Reddit to check if you can get to it.
Fix 10. Contact Reddit Support
If your Reddit application is still showing the error and none of the solutions work, you need to report it to Reddit Tech Support. Contact them from the official site or email them about the issue and they’ll be able to help you fix the error.
These are all possible solutions to quickly get rid of the “We had some trouble getting to Reddit” error. If you have any more queries, please let us know in the comment section.