Instagram story feature is similar to WhatsApp status feature where people share photos and videos. Many people like to use this feature to inform and get support through reactions or texts or to promote brands in the case of business. People also are interested in viewing other stories.
Are you the one who is unable to view a story sent by your friend via direct message on Instagram? The error says, “The story is unavailable”. Don’t be in FOMO. Read the blog in detail to understand the reason and learn how to fix this issue.
Why Does It Say This Story Unavailable On Instagram?
This story unavailable on Instagram means the story you are trying to view is no longer available.
The Story has Expired
If you are viewing any story exceeding the Instagram time frame, you will not be able to view the story. You can view any story up to 24 hours after it is posted.
After 24 hours, it will automatically be deleted. This is one of the most common reasons for the unavailability of Instagram stories.
Deleted the Story
The user may delete the story you are looking for for several reasons. It may be due to privacy concerns when the user wants to share only with closed ones or posts in haste and regrets it.
Once deleted, the story cannot be retrieved. As it is deleted, you will see “this story unavailable” issue on Instagram.
Switch to Private Account
There are two types of accounts on Instagram: one is Public, and another is private. In public accounts, everything is visible to anyone, from posts to followers, even those who are not following you.
Contrary to private accounts, the stories, highlights, and posts can be viewed only by approved followers. If your friend sends you the story of someone with a private account and you do not follow them, you cannot view it.
Hidden From You
Specific people can be restricted from viewing a story. This feature is available both to public and private accounts. Additionally, there is another feature named Closed Friends. As the name says, users share stories with self-created lists of his or her close friends.
In both cases, if you are not on the list of close friends or if they don’t like to share with you, they can hide you from viewing their story.
You are blocked
You won’t be able to see someone’s story, highlights, posts, and almost everything on someone’s profile if the person has blocked you. You won’t be able to see their story in your feed too.
A message will be displayed when someone sends you a story from someone who has blocked you on Instagram. The message “This story is no longer available” will be displayed in your chat.
Instagram may encounter glitches resulting in the message “This story is no longer available.” Therefore, if the cause is a glitch, it will be fixed soon by the Instagram team.
Weak Internet Connection
Instagram is a platform whose proper operation depends entirely on the internet. It won’t be able to perform at its best if the internet speed is slow.
Therefore, poor internet speed may also show “this story is unavailable Instagram”.
Removed by Instagram
Taking down any story on Instagram is very rare. If the AI of Instagram finds any user who has not adhered to community guidelines, it can take down any story. Possible reasons for removal may be due to violations of community guidelines such as violence, nudity or if someone has reported a story.
If the reported issue is true, Instagram will remove the post. If these are the cases, you will see an error message “this story is unavailable”.
Not login in your Instagram account
Many people try to view the stories of others, forgetting that they are viewing stories without logging in to their accounts. If this is the case, you will see a message “ this story is unavailable”.
Deactivated their Account
If any user has deactivated his/her account, you cannot view his/her stories on Instagram. All posts, stories, and reels will disappear from the user account. Other people can no longer see or access the account.
Not following the user
Following a user with a public account is not essential to view posts, stories, and reels. These are visible to all regardless of being a follower.
If you are not following a user who has a private account, you will not able to see their stories, reels, posts, etc. Thus, as earlier stated, following a private account to view these activities is essential.
Instagram tries to fix flaws with each update. But sometimes, a new bug comes, which creates some issues.
After knowing the reasons behind the issue of the unavailability of story on Instagram, let’s find out the solutions to fix this issue quickly.
How to Fix This Story Is Unavailable On Instagram?
Follow these steps to quickly fix the issue of “this story is unavailable on Instagram.”
1. Make sure you have a good internet connection
- If you are a mobile phone user.
- For some time, put your mobile in aeroplane mode.
- Switch your mobile data to Wi-Fi.
- If you are using Wi-Fi, try switching to mobile data.
2. Update or Reinstall the Instagram App
If Instagram has a bug or added new features, it updates its app. You need to update the Instagram App to avail yourself of new features or fix any issues.
Update or Reinstall Instagram on Android
- Locate the Play Store on your Android phone.
- In the search box, type Instagram. (In the right corner, a green Update button will appear.)
- Tap on the Update option/install.
Update Instagram for Ios
- Go to the App Store on your iPhone.
- Press the Profile button.
- Scroll down to the pending updates and release notes.
- Next to the Instagram icon, click Update.
The Instagram application will start updating after the execution of the steps. Restart the device after it is completely updated.
3. Not Following the User Account/Switch to a Private Account
4. Ask someone About the Story In case the Story Has Expired
Thought of viewing the story but later forgot for some reason. When you remember, you see “this story is unavailable” as it has crossed 24 hrs. You can ask your friend or mutual friend about the same. You can also check stories on highlights if your friend has added them. Stories in highlights remain longer than 24 hrs.
Clear App Cache
- On your Android phone, open the settings.
- From the settings, find “Apps”
- From the settings, find “Manage Apps”
- Find the Instagram app in the Apps list.
On the detail page, you can see two options.
- Clear Data
- Clear cache
You need to click on the clear cache option. Locally stored Instagram data will be cleared. No other data, including login credentials, will be deleted. Remember that if you click on clear data, it will clear all Instagram data. In this case, you need to log in to your Instagram account again.
- iPhone users must follow the below steps to fix the issue.
- On your iPhone, go to settings.
- Click on the settings option in the settings area.
- You can find iPhone Storage there.
- In the Instagram storage section, you will find all the installed apps. Find the Instagram app and delete it from your phone. All the locally stored data will be deleted.
- Reinstall the app and, without any issues, start using it.
5. Relogin in Your Instagram Account
Logout Instagram account
- On the Instagram App, tap the Profile picture.
- Tap Hamburger icon.
- Tap Settings and Privacy.
- Click Logout after reaching the bottom of the page.
6. Login Instagram Account
- Go to the Instagram app.
- Enter your Instagram login information, such as your username, email address, or phone number.
- Tap the login option.
Refresh Feed on the Instagram App.
To refresh your feed on Instagram, you need to pull down from the top. Your feed will be refreshed with the latest posts and stories. The story unavailable issue will be fixed following this step.
7. Remove and Force Stop Instagram App
- Try removing the feed from the background if refreshing; it didn’t solve the problem. Next, use the actions listed below to force the app to close:
- Open Settings.
- Click Apps.
- Choose App Management/ Manage Apps/Samsung Apps Setting
- Open Instagram after a search.
- Click Force stop.
- Depending on the device, the option’s name could be slightly different. In any case, the procedures will be largely the same.
On iOS and iPad
- Open App switcher.
- Find the app and swipe up.
Check from another account if you are blocked/hidden or any other issue
Many people have multiple accounts. From any other account, try to see the story. If you have only one account, you can ask a mutual friend and learn whether your friend is facing the same issue. If your friend can see the story, it might be a hidden story, or the person may have blocked you.
You need to know a little difference between block and hidden features. You are blocked if you can’t view someone’s profile. You are hidden if you can view the profile but cannot view the story.
In this case, you may ask your friend to share a screenshot if you are very eager to see the story.
8. Use Third-Party App to View Instagram Story
You can also use a third-party app if none of the fixes are working for you. Before using a third-party app, you must keep in mind that there is a chance of data breach. This is so because you need to log in with your Instagram account to access the account. If a person’s account is private, most of the services won’t be able to help.
Contact Instagram Support
To receive a prompt response, contact Instagram support. It can take some time, but the authorities will contact you and offer assistance. The steps to contacting Instagram’s support team are as follows:
- Open Instagram and select your personal profile page.
- Press the three-line icon.
- Scroll down and go to the Help option under More info and support.
- Tap Report a problem.
- Tap the option Report a problem without shaking.
- On the Report a problem page, you will get two options. The options are Include and continue (include information such as network log, activity log, crash log and more) and Don’t include and continue.
- Select Don’t include and continue.
- On the next screen, you will have a box to briefly explain the issue of “this story is unavailable on Instagram”.
- Now explain your problem. You can write like this by attaching the screenshot of your problem.
Hi Instagram Team,
I am not able to view Instagram stories. I am getting an error message “This story is unavailable on Instagram”
Can you please help me solve the issue?
I am looking forward to your kind response.
Instagram story is popular despite of arrival of reels. In this blog, we hope you have learned why you get the message of the unavailability of Instagram story. Additionally learned the possible fix you may take to resolve “this story is unavailable” issue. Which one of the fixes worked for you, drop in the comment section below.