Vizio TVs come with a huge collection of popular apps pre-installed. However, you may not find some apps in the app list, so you need to download them. Downloading apps on a Vizio TV is quite simple with the V button on your remote. Even if the app isn’t supported by Vizio, you can still have them.
Vizio smart televisions are popular because of their smart features, excellent streaming quality and affordable price. But due to its lack of support by Android OS, users cannot download apps from the Google Play Store. So, we’ve given you all the possible methods for installing apps without the V button on a Vizio smart TV.
In order to download apps on Vizio TV without the V button, the best technique is using the Vizio Internet Apps (VIA) Plus Platform. Additionally, you can use a flash drive or the SmartCast app to sideload apps on your Vizio TV.
Let’s get started
How to Tell Which Vizio TV model I Have?
At first, you should know which Vizio TV model you own to learn how to download apps on your Vizio TV without a V button.
The OS platform of your TV decides what is showing on the screen and how to interact with it.
The software used by your TV depends on the model series at the time of its release.
These platforms can be divided into four different categories.
Vizio Internet App Plus (VIA Plus)
It is mainly found on the Vizio TVs that were released between 2013 to 2017.
SmartCast with Apps
This OS platform is used in Vizio TVs rolled out after 2018 and in some 4K UHD TVs that were released between 2016 and 2017.
SmartCast Without Apps
This kind of OS is basically found on the VIZIO Smart TVs released between 2016 to 2017
Vizio Internet Apps (VIA)
This VIA platform is usually found in most of the Vizio TVs that were released before 2013.
Once you’ve understood which Vizio TV model you have, move to the methods of installing apps on your TV without a V button.
How Can I download apps on My Vizio TV without the V button? – 7 Methods
1. Download apps using the Vizio Internet Apps (Plus) platform
- First, connect the Vizio Tv with the internet.
- Press the Home button twice on your Vizio TV remote.
- Now, you’ll see a new screen that will display the apps you’ve installed on your TV. All apps with categories will be available under the All Apps tab.
- Scroll through the Latest, Features, Apps, and Categories sections for the app you want to add to your TV. You can also use the Search box to find the app.
- Once you find the app, select it and keep holding the remote’s Ok button for a few seconds till the new app displays in the My Apps tab.
2. Use Flash Drive to Sideloads apps on Vizio TV
You can use a flash drive to sideload apps on your Vizio TV. If you’ve a poor network connection, this method will work best for you.
Here are the steps:
- Download the app’s APK file that you want to install.
- Save the file on a flash drive by using a computer. Ensure that you have not stored anything else on it.
- Turn off the TV and unplug it from the power source.
- Plug the USB flash drive, give power to your TV and turn it on.
- It will automatically start sideloading apps, wait until the process gets completed.
3. Setup SmartCast Remote app on Vizio tv
Vizio TVs have an in-built Google Chromecast feature. You can use the SmartCast to cast apps onto your TV from your computer, smartphone, or tablet.
This setup provides the facility to control all your Vizio TV applications. For that, you only need a Google Chromecast compatible app on your mobile.
To cast an application
- Open the app and tap the cast icon.
- Press the icon and select your preferred device to cast. In case you have other Chromecast devices or multiple Vizio SmartCast products, then your TV will see multiple options. Choose the preferable device that you want to connect to.
- After selecting the Chromecast to SmartCast device, start playing the content and it will start playing on the device you’ve selected.
4. Screencast Apps on Vizio TV from Smartphone
Since Vizio TVs have a limited number of apps, you may not use some apps on the TV that you want. The easy and simple way to add these apps is by using Screencast.
The Screencast feature on Vizio TVs makes it easier to cast an app on your TV from a smartphone or tablet screen. Here’s how you can cast an app.
- Make sure your SmartCast device (Vizio TV) and the smartphone or tablet are connected to the same network. It’s necessary to be on the same network so that your mobile device can easily identify your TV’s wireless display.
- Open an app from the Play Store or Apple Store that you want to cast and ensure the app is updated. For example, if it’s the Netflix app, open it and press the Cast icon.
- It’ll now search for wireless displays connected to the same network. Once your TV shows up, select the device to start screencasting to your Vizio TV.
5. Screenshare on Vizio TV using iPhone/iPad
Vizio SmartCast TVs also have AirPlay 2 capabilities, Apple’s version of screen mirroring. So, you can Screencast an iOS device to use apps on the Vizio TV.
- On your iPhone or iPad, search for the Apple Airplay icon in the streaming app.
- Tap the icon and your device will begin looking for your WiFi TV. Ensure that both devices are connected to the same WiFi network.
- Now, you’ll be able to stream content from your iOS device to the TV. In the same manner, you can stream music and share photos on the big screen.
6. Use your Vizio TV buttons to navigate the Vizio TV interface
You can simply use the buttons on your Vizio TV to access the Google Play Store.
Follow the steps below:
- Connect your TV to the internet.
- Long press both the input and volume down buttons on your TV.
- Navigate to the Home screen.
- It will lead to a screen that displays all the installed apps on your device.
- Go to “All Apps” and find out your preferred application.
- Once you find the app, click on ok and wait for the app to install.
7. Screencasting from a Laptop to Vizio TV
If you use a Windows 10 laptop, it’s possible to Screencast the laptop’s screen on your Vizio TV. here’s how to do it. Similar to mobile devices, make sure the laptop and TV are connected to the same network.
- Open Google Chrome on the laptop and select the three-dot menu on the upper right of the browser. You can also use another browser with the same features like Google Chrome.
- Choose the “Cast” option from the drop-down menu. This will search for your wireless display. Then you can either share your web browser’s screen or the entire system along with the audio. As for the mobile cast, it’ll be best that your Vizio TV and laptop are connected to the same WiFi.
Frequently Asked Questions
Where is the V button on Vizio remote?
V button is placed near the center of the Vizio remote. It’s in V shape and easy to find.
How do you add apps to a Vizio Smart TV without App Store?
To add apps to a Vizio Smart TV without the App store,
Press the V button twice on the remote.
VIA Plus Apps Windows will show up in a full-screen mode and you’ll see the installed applications under the “My Apps” tab.
To search for your desired app, use the Recents or Categories section.
Why won’t my Vizio TV let me download apps?
If your Vizio TV is unable to donwload apps, your network may need to be rebooted. Unplug the power cord direct from the socket will power cycle the router. Keep it unplugged for 10 seconds before plug back in and allow it to fully restart you try to download.
You may also try to update the TV to its latest firmware. For that, press the Home button on your Vizio remote, choose System and then Check for Updates. Your TV will look for updates and install them automatically if any available.