Instagram Direct Messaging (DM) is one of the coolest and easiest ways to connect and engage with your followers.
Apart from being a photo-sharing platform, Instagram has evolved as a promotional tool where companies promote their products and services.
Companies now can solve queries of Instagram users and influencers can secure sponsorship deals using the DM feature of Instagram.
Being such an important feature, there are certain cases where people complained about Instagram DMs not working.
However, there are several reasons why you cannot send or receive DMs on Instagram. If you are frustrated with Instagram DMs not working, then read this article to know how to fix the problem.
Why Is Instagram DM Not Working
Following are some of the possible reasons that can be responsible for the Instagram DMs not working problem.
- Poor or unstable internet connection.
- You’re using an outdated Instagram application.
- Corrupted cache files of your Instagram app prevent it from working smoothly.
- You probably have exceeded the Instagram daily DM limit.
- The sender may have deleted the DMs from both sides.
- The recipient has blocked your Instagram account.
- Instagram servers are facing an outage.
Common Instagram DM Glitches
- Instagram provides a new Instagram DM update.
- Users are not able to send messages on Instagram.
- Users cannot view new messages on Instagram DM.
- Instagram Direct Message disappearing.
- Users get notifications that there’s a new DM on their Instagram, but they cannot see any message.
- Users are not able to delete a particular DM.
- Followers are not able to view your replies.
- Instagram DMs are not loading.
- While checking the Instagram DMs, the DMs are going “blacked out”.
- Instagram DMs are stuck on the loading screen.
How to Fix the “Instagram DMs Not Working” Issue?
1. Check Your Internet Connection
First of all, if your internet connection is not stable or slow, then you might face difficulties while trying to send direct messages on Instagram. You can try switching from mobile data to WiFi or vice versa to check if it fixes the problem. Otherwise, you can also detect speed drops in your internet connection by testing your internet speed on websites dedicated to internet speed testing.
2. Check With the Instagram Servers
One of the most common culprits of Instagram direct messages not working is the Instagram server. If the Instagram servers are facing an outage, then you can’t load the Instagram feed and face problems while sending or receiving DMs.
You need to know whether Instagram servers are working fine or not. There are plenty of websites you can find on the internet that gives you real-time updates on Instagram servers. If there’s an outage, you can do nothing but wait until the problem fixes.
3. Clear Instagram Cache
Another reason that is responsible for most of the Instagram DM glitches is the application cache stored in your device. Clearing up the Instagram cache can fix Instagram DMs not working. Here’s how you can clear your Instagram cache:
- Press the Instagram icon for a few seconds and then tap on App Info.
- Tap on Storage> Clear Cache.
If you’re using iPhone,
- Open the Settings app.
- Tap on General> iPhone storage.
- Find Instagram from the list.
- Now, tap on the Offload App option.
- You can even tap on the Delete App option and reinstall Instagram again.
Now, check if the Instagram DMs are working properly.
4. Install Instagram App Updates
Using an outdated version of Instagram can also be the reason why you are not able to check, send or receive Instagram DMs. Go to the App Store (iOS users) or Google Play Store (Android users) to download the latest Instagram updates. Once you are done, check whether the DM problem is resolved or not.
5. Use Instagram Web
You can also use the web version of Instagram to check the latest feeds, messages, stories, and reels on your PC or laptop. In case you are facing the Instagram DM problem on the Mobile version of Instagram, check whether the Instagram Web works for you.
6. Reinstall Instagram
Uninstall the Instagram app from your phone and reinstall it again from App Store or Play Store. Now, using your login ID and password, log in to your Instagram account and check if Instagram DMs are loading now.
7. Try Sending DMs to Another Person
If you are blocked by someone on Instagram, you won’t be able to send them direct messages. Even all of your previous conversations with that specific person will be removed. In that case, you need to check whether the person you’re trying to communicate with has blocked you or not.
For that, you need to search for their username on Instagram and check whether or not you’re able to see their post. If you can’t see any of their posts, it means you’re blocked by the person. You can even try sending DMs to other Instagram users and check whether the messages are getting delivered to them.
8. Log Out and Log Back In
Simply logging out and logging back into your Instagram account can solve your problem with Instagram DMs. In order to log out from your Instagram account,
- Tap on your Profile icon from the bottom right side.
- Next, tap on the hamburger icon located in the upper-right corner and tap Settings.
- Scroll down and tap Log Out.
- Now exit the app and remove the app from the background.
- Finally, use your credentials to log into your Instagram account again.
9. Turn on Mobile Data (iPhone)
If Instagram DM is not loading on your iPhone, then this solution is exclusively for you. Apple’s iOS allows users to turn off mobile data for a single app. You must re-enable Instagram’s mobile data if it has been disabled. Here’s the process to do it:
- Open Settings.
- Scroll down and tap on Instagram.
- Toggle on the Mobile Data on the next screen.
10. Contact Instagram Support
If you’ve exhausted all of your options and still can’t get Instagram DM to work, the final option is to contact Instagram and report the problem. If Instagram is the source of the issue, then no other technique of troubleshooting will work until Instagram fixes the problem.
Here’s how you can report a problem to Instagram:
- Open Instagram on your device.
- Tap on your profile photo to go to your profile.
- Now tap on the three horizontal lines located at the top-right corner of the screen.
- Select Settings and then tap on Help.
- Now, tap on Report a problem.
- Lastly, describe in full the difficulty that you are having with the Instagram app and give a screenshot if possible. Then, tap on the Submit button.
That’s it. Hopefully, you’ve understood why your Instagram direct messages stopped working properly. You can try all these fixes one at a time to troubleshoot the Instagram DMs not working issue.